An easy-to-use DNA test for dogs, with detailed, understandable analysis of ancestry, breed features and potential medical complications for more than 365 breeds, types and variations.
Developed by top geneticists and veterinarians, Wisdom Panel generates industry leading insights that equip pet parents with the knowledge needed to make the best choice at every life stage of their pet. Their world leading DNA tests allow you to find out more about your dog's health, breed mix, physical characteristics, and much more.
The Wisdom Panel™ Essential test can detect over 365 breeds, types and varieties
. It is based on a comprehensive database of 4m pets, a sophisticated algorithm and strategically placed markers, ensuring that thorough evaluation of the submitted DNA can result in meaningful results. This includes learning about potential medical issues and whether certain routine procedures would be safe for your dog to undergo. Wisdom Panel™ Essential is also the only
licensed provider of the MDR1 medication sensitivity test.
The results of can be seen in an online report, which includes complete breed make-up and a family tree dating back to your dog's great-grandparents. As well as providing breed information, there is also a genetically-determined weight profile
for your dog to allow you to work with your vet to offer your dog a healthy lifestyle.
Test your dog’s DNA in 3 simple steps – this is how it works:
Activate your kit online
Register your kit and get instant access to our Learning Lab and other features by using our online activation tool.
Collect your dog's DNA
Use the 2 swabs provided to collect skin cells from inside your dog's cheek. Once they have dried, you're ready to go!
Post your sample
Seal the sample inside the pre-paid return container to send the DNA sample to the lab. After as little as 3 weeks, you can view the results online.
Wisdom Panel™ Essential at a glance:
- DNA test for dogs
- Offers fast results in as little as 3 weeks
- Easy to use with 3 simple steps: activate the kit online, take a DNA sample using the cheek swabs and send away the DNA for testing
- Detailed analysis:
- Recognises more than 350 breeds, types and varieties. Detection down to 1% with detailed information on the recognised breeds your dog has been linked to
- Screening for 30 medical conditions that may cause problems during routine procedures, such as spaying and neutering or MDR1
- Size, coat, shedding, ideal weight range - with 35+ trait tests not only will you get to the bottom of your pup's signature look, but you'll also understand how to make more informed decisions to care for them better
- Family tree going back 3 generations, as well as a relatives finder
- Set with 2 swabs, instructions and pre-paid return container*
- How long does it take to get my results?
- You should receive your results 2-3 weeks after our lab receives your pet's DNA sample. We’ll send you an email when your results are ready. Please note: due to the digital nature of our product your results will be available in your online account only. No physical report will be mailed.
- How can I track my Wisdom Panel sample online?
- You can follow the progress of your DNA sample online with our test tracker. To see the tracker, log into your account and click on the status of the sample in question.
- Can I get a printed copy of my report?
- For most Wisdom Panel™ results, the option to download and print a Technical Report is available by visiting your pet's “highlight” tab. At the bottom of that page, you'll find a button that says "Download Technical Report".
- Can a Wisdom Panel test determine the sex of the dog tested?
- It can. The report will always default to the gender of the dog that was entered at activation, but we are able to see the dog's genetic gender in the raw data.
- Can I DNA test my puppy?
- Yes! Wisdom Panel is designed for dogs of all ages and is safe and easy to use at any stage in a dog's life. That said, we recommend waiting until a puppy has been weaned to prevent cross-contamination from skin and other cells within the mother’s milk. Also, please note, it can be very difficult to observe breed traits in puppies as they are growing and developing rapidly. Most dogs will not achieve their final mature physical traits until they are at least one to two years of age.