Cat Scratching Posts
5 reasons why your cat and you will love a scratching post:
- Cats can stay active all throughout the year reducing the risk of obesity, weight gain, and joint problems
- Scratch posts give your cat a full body workout, especially suited for cats that spend a lot of time indoors
- It is the perfect exercise after a long nap and keeps boredom away
- Your cat's nails will be strong and healthy
- A personal space for your furry friend! Cats can mark their territory with their scent and scratch marks
- Reduce the likelihood of your cat scratching your furniture instead
Tips to choose the right cat scratching post
When choosing a cat scratching post, there are several important factors, such as: material, shape, size, and special qualities you might want for your cats.
- Materials: Cat scratching posts come in natural or synthetic. For vertical posts opt for thick natural sisal material
- Stability: Look for a stable and not wobbly post
- Size: The ideal post should be tall enough to allow your cat to fully stretch
- Quantity: Do you have more than one cat? It would be a good idea to get more than one post to avoid competition between cats
- Shape: Does your cat enjoy climbing, laying or stretching? Choose the right shape accordingly
Other useful ideas:
- Scratching problem: If your cat scratches your furniture, using citrus/menthol scents or oils can help keep them away from those surfaces
- Attract your cat: You can rub catnip at the top of the scratching post. The nepetalactone in catnip (a sort of mint) has been shown to have a high in more than half of all cats that induces them to sniff, and sometimes lick or chew.
Note: it has the oppossite effect in kittens, repelling them.
- Play time: Attach a small object at the top of the scratching post with a little rope for your cat to play with
Have a look at the other scratching toys available at zooplus.Back to the top